The Affordable Care Act
Provides an Opportunity to Fill the Gap in BadgerCare
Wisconsin should use the Affordable Care Act (ACA) opportunity to fill the gap in BadgerCare. The ACA gives states the opportunity to ensure health insurance coverage of nearly all low-income individuals. In Wisconsin, our BadgerCare program provides coverage for parents and a small number of non-caretaker adults up to 200 percent of the poverty level, however, there is a large gap in coverage for the majority of non-custodial, low-income adults. These individuals (non-custodial adults with income below 138 percent of the poverty level) would be eligible for BadgerCare in 2014 if Wisconsin takes advantage of this federal funding.
Governor Walker will decide as he announces his 2013-15 biennium budget (usually mid-February) whether he supports using the ACA opportunity to fill the gap in BadgerCare.
- --WCCF, Ending BadgerCare Coverage in 2014 for 100,000 Adults Has Substantial Risks (May 2013)
- --Overview of the Governor’s BadgerCare Proposal and Tax-Saving Alternatives (April 2013)
- --Talking Points: Improve on the Proposed 2013-15 Budget to Strengthen BadgerCare (April 2013)
- --DRW, 2013 Priorities for People with Disabilities in Wisconsin (March 2013)
- --Create a Healthier Wisconsin by Insuring More People: WCCF’s recommendations relating to health care issues in the 2013-15 Budget (March 2013)
- --WCCF, Top 10 Reasons to Improve upon the Governor’s Medicaid Plan (March 22, 2013)
- --Improving the Governor’s BadgerCare Proposal with a Tax-Saving Alternative (March 2013)
- --Community Advocates Public Policy Institute, Governor and Legislature Should Cut Taxes on Wisconsin Employers By Expanding BadgerCare (January 8, 2013)
- --WCCF, Top Ten Reasons to Use the Affordable Care Act to Fill the Gap in BadgerCare (August 22, 2012)
- --WCCF Census Figures Shed Light on Wisconsinites Who Could Gain Access to Insurance under the Health Care Reform Law (December 27, 2012)
- --Kaiser Family Foundation and the Urban Institute, The Cost and Coverage Implications of the ACA Medicaid Expansion: National and State-by-State Analysis (November 2012)